So - what exactly is a gratefulness jar?
It is essentially any jar that you have designated to be the gratefulness jar for the year. The real magic lies in what you put inside. Every time something good happens, or something you’re thankful for, write it on a slip of paper and put it into the jar. Try not to peek into the jar and by the end of the year, you’ll have collected an incredible collection of happy moments.
If you need some ideas on what to write down, consider some of the following prompts:
- A time when something struck you as beautiful
- When you were pleasantly surprised
- A moment when you felt loved
- When you finished a challenging task
- A funny moment
- Facing a fear
- A great time spent with family
- Receiving/ giving an amazing gift
- A display of kindness
- That moment when you’re so content and say to yourself “I hope I remember this, perfectly, as is, wholly and completely”
I can say from personal experience that keeping a gratefulness jar is one of the sweetest gifts you can give yourself. The silly smile that will sit on your face as you read all the memories is absolutely priceless. Now that you’re convinced, I’ll leave you with three small tips from my own experience to maximize your jar:
1. Place it somewhere prominent so you’ll always be reminded of it,
2. Don’t filter for just the big accomplishments, the little ones count just as much if not more.
3. Make a conscious effort to identify moments you want to remember.
This wonderful jar is truly something in which the more you give to it, the more it gives back. Enjoy!
Written by Mary Gao
Photographs from Pinterest